Monday, June 27, 2011

Brain Break

I think it's important to give your brain a break when you're writing. Turning off your imagination is nearly impossible (it is for my, anyway) but I think in order for my cluttered thoughts to gather and make collective sense I need to take time off. It's difficult for me to find time to write during the weekends because A. the hubby's at home and wants to go do fun stuff so sitting at home on the laptop is not an option and B. I also look forward to weekend for a break. This past weekend while I was on said 'break' a lot of the plotlines I wasn't so sure about started to thread together and make sense. I immediately opened up a new doc. and started to type where these thoughts were going. I didn't dive into writing entire scenes or anything, but just jotting down where your mind is taking you is important. Especially when you have three kids and a husband to distract you from these all important thoughts that are likely to disappear if you don't put them down somewhere, otherwise days full of dirty dishes, laundry, fighting kids, and general life hysteria can keep these ideas from taking shape and molding into something great. See what I mean about giving your brain a break? If you take the time to step away and enjoy life often times you'll find that things just start to make more sense. Well, my break is over and I need to get back to work. I'm excited now that I know what it is my character wants me to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment