Monday, August 1, 2011

Maniac Mondays

Yes, you read that right, Maniac Mondays, not Manic Mondays. Why? Because I often feel like a maniac trying to get back into the groove of things after a fun-filled weekend. I'm often more tired than usual, my house is messier than usual, and the kids tend to be a little bit more antsy than usual. Oh well, such is life.
On the bright side, I can get back to my writing. I've already done about twenty pages of revising/editing and that's a pretty big accomplishment for a Monday.

Now if only I felt motivated enough to do the other twenty things on my checklist.

Over the weekend I did a lot of thinking about my MCs and what I could do to make them stand out even more from the pages of my manuscript. For those who don't know, I have alternating POVs, and it can be difficult at times to get into my male MC's head. But I realized that sometimes less is more when it comes to guys. Boys don't talk in flowery prose about what a beautiful day it is outside, they are more often than not thinking about video games or girls or something else that I can't quite relate to. They don't usually sit around thinking about stuff to do and analyzing it, they just get up and do it. You just have to get to the point where your comfortable with writing about things in their way and not yours.

I know that every person is different, that there are boys out there that are a little more sensitive to things than others (my MC is a more sensitive male, I didn't want to do too much of the whole dark and mysterious bad boy thing) but I didn't want him to sound feminine. That's the hard part of writing from a POV you don't share a gender with. But I'm getting the hang of it as I plod along and I have to say that Kale (My Male MC) is starting to shine. I hope that your characters do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment