Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book Review: Hourglass by Myra Mcentire

I didn't know what to expect when I started this gem of a book, but it wasn't the twists and turns that it took me on. Here's the synopsis:

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened

Okay, so it's got some serious paranormal action, signs of possible ghosts, hot guys that you want more of, and a secret organization that you're not quite sure about. I was surprised by the whole *spoiler alert* time travel concept. I thought it was quite clever and well thought out. Ms. Mcentire's writing is fun and easy to read, her descriptions spot on,her dialogue believable. That said the only thing I have a complaint about is Emerson's relationships with her family and best friend. I loved all the scenes that involved Emerson and her brother, but I wanted more. I think it was hard to believe that he would ever let her do some of things that he does without more of a fight. And I wanted more of Lily. You find out some interesting facts about Emerson's best friend as you get further into the book, but then she kind of just disappears. I really hope we see more of her in the sequel and explore her friendship with Emerson.

All in all Hourglass was an enjoyable read and original in concept (no vampires or werewolves came flying out of the woods or anything), and I can't wait to read the next installment in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment