Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Static Electricity

Ever rub a baloon on top of your head? If you haven't, try it out, it's guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again (and you can zap someone afterwards, you're feeling kind of evil). Notice how it leaves your hair standing on its ends, almost Einstein like? That's what I liken a writer's brain to.
 <-- Your brain on writing

There's all these crazy ideas roaming around in your head, fighting to stand out from the others, leaving you feeling (rather than looking) like a crazy person. Each strand can be brilliant on its own, or can fizzle to nothing. I found something out, if you add and subtract a few strands here and there, you might make something AMAZING out of nothing. I had a few ideas that were just that, ideas. But there was nothing special about them, but I intertwined those 'blah' ideas (dull strands) and poof! You got some volume! As writers, we're kind of a hot mess of hair growing by the second, sort of like what happens to mine when any sort of humidity gets near it. But at times, that hot mess can be that gem you've been waiting for. Don't give up, add a few ideas together to see if they make any sort of coherent story and go from there. I've been known to mesh a couple of them together. If nothing else, you might get a good laugh out of it.

7 comments:

  1. Needed this today! I was just asking myself why I never finished anything and now I know--- we'll just blame the balloon head epidemic. :)

    Great post, Prerna!
    Deserae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize with the eternal battle between humidity and hair.

    my hair is super fine, but I've got a lot of it, and the longer it gets, the curlier it gets.

    ...static electricity is also not my friend... my husband jokes and says it looks like I am being devoured by my own hair.

    ...which might make an interesting idea strand on its own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome advice! And the picture made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pushing two ideas together sounds interesting...I'll have to try that. :) Thanks, Prerna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just check out your blog and I four it was really good. This post in particular was interesting as it amazed me how to manage to tie together a science experiment with writing. Anything is possible is what you were basically saying. And with writing everything is doable! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha well actually, I'm pretty sure my writing does leave me *looking* like that sometimes...

    I came over from Melanie Stanford's blog. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete