Happy New Year! I can't believe it's 2013. I have a feeling this year is going to be full of surprises (hopefully the good kind).
I read a lot of books in 2012 (79 to be exact). I don't think I've ever read that many in one year, but I plan on keeping up the tradition from now on. I learned so much about the craft from doing this. There is a reason why SO many authors say reading is just as important as writing when it comes to strengthening our writing skills. Now I'm going to share with you my favorite reads.
1. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater- This is kind of an obvious one since I've been going on and on about it for like ever.
2. The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Long- This reminded me of some classic takes on Fairie lore. I loved every minute of it. The descriptions were vivid and the I loved Jenny as a main character.
3. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta- A fantasy with all the elements for an awesome read.
4. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievfater- This is not surprising either since Maggie Stievfater is one of my favorite writers. The story sucked me in, and the characters felt real, not paper thin.
5. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller- This take on a soldier suffering from PTSD had a lot going for it. Especially an authentic guy POV.
6. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi- Wow, I loved this dystopian fantasy. I didn't even know such a genre even existed, but it was perfect.
7. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green- Gah, cue tears. Really, such a beautiful story rich with emotions and fantastic writing.
8. Cinder by Marissa Meyer- I loved this sci-fi retelling of Cinderella full of cyborgs, an evil moon Queen, and a sweet prince. I'm really looking forward to Scarlet.
I can't wait to see what 2013 holds for me, whether in my reading adventures or writing adventures.