Monday, July 23, 2012

Somebody Slap Me

I was minding my own business this weekend, editing my manuscript, trying to rework my query, when it smacked me in the chest.

The doubt.



My confidence crashed down, my shoulders slumping with the weight. It was quite sudden and really annoying.

I've been riding a high the last few weeks while working on my current WIP. I'm loving the story and it's flowing fairly easily, compared to past projects. I've been in my groove. So where did this sudden hit to my confidence come from? I don't really quite know. Maybe it's because I'm getting closer to querying Fire and Ice, maybe because I've been reading some really amazing books, or maybe it's just me being a big old boob. I'm not sure which, but I'm working through it. How? By WORKING through it. Yup, I'm still writing. I'm not going to give up that high so easily, especially when it makes me feel lighter and happier. My current WIP is special to me. Not that any of my other manuscripts aren't, but there's something about this story that's driving me, zooming past the limits. I just hope the doubt dies down for a while. And if it doesn't, I'll just punch it in the gut some more by ignoring it.

6 comments:

  1. This happens to every writer on and off. No one is perfect and it's easy to get discouraged. I'll be here cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't let it stop you from continuing your writing. Way to be strong. Doubt can be really scary. It's good you can recognize it for what it is, a passing phase that comes and goes in every writer's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there! Usually fades away in a day or two, but someone please take the chocolate away or my hips and thighs will pay!

    Keep hanging in there. Writing is the best thing you can do, so good job for moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, definitely have those moments of doubt.

    ...feel free to send me your updated query at any point :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My crit partners and I were just discussing this phenom last week. We've all had that moment AND the one where you fall back in love. Someone told me that teens are ornery so we can let them go when it's time for them to move out. Maybe that applies to WIPs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you for pushing through. You can always go back and edit later if you don't like it. Happens to us all :)

    ReplyDelete