Monday, March 4, 2013

Sometimes Life Happens

Not all writer's out there gets to do it every day. (If you do, then good for you. I'll just be around the corner hanging my head in shame). Why? Because life happens. STUFF. HAPPENS.

Take last week for example. Well, the last TWO weeks. (Yes, I will be using my caps button generously). First I got a sore throat. A bad one, like the kind where swallowing felt like trying to fit an unpeeled kiwi down my throat. Then the soar throat mysteriously went away, only to be replaced with congestion. Then there was the fever and body aches. Hello, flu, I believe you are now in season. Yeah, I haven't felt like such crap in a long time. That was two weeks ago. ONE (I warned you about the caps) week ago the left side of my face felt...not nice. My head only hurt on that side, the congestion and resulting runny nose was colored oddly (so GROSS), my cheek was tender, and my gums and teeth on that side felt like they'd just gotten done chomping down on uncracked walnuts. Oh, it's you, Sinus Infection, I much preferred flu.

As you can guess, I didn't write.

I like schedules, I'm not neurotic about it, but it's nice to have an outline for my day. I wake up before the kids and run on the treadmill. Then I wake up the children and get the oldest ready for school. When I come home I finish exercising (I can't function without working-out...I'm one of those weirdos. [It makes me feel better about myself, stop judging me]). Then I shower, because I don't like walking around smelling rancid with sweat. After that I usually work with my younger kiddos (not including the babes) on school stuff. Like letters and numbers, colors, shapes. Kind of like pre-school. I also like to play with them outside at some point. So where does writing fit into all of this? I don't know. Really, I don't. Despite my fondness for schedules, I don't actually pencil in writing. Why? Because there are THINGS going on. Things other than writing. I LOVE writing. A LOT. But it can be hard to find the time I want for it.

I DO find time. Whether it's fifteen minutes here or twenty there, as long as I get something in I'm happy. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't beat yourself up if life happens, we've all been there.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's just practically impossible to find time to write. I think what's important is trying, but what's even more important is not putting your life on hold when there's so much to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flu has struck us, too. I'm hoping to get some writing done when the kids feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether it's fifteen minutes or two minutes it's great that you were able to have the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually get up at 5 to write, but some days life get's in the way. Each day is a new chance to get into writing again. Every little bit counts!

    ReplyDelete