Friday, June 29, 2012

Five for Friday

1. So much writing, you guys. I'm so proud of myself for finally getting there again. It's been an uphill battle since Baby Girl 2 came into the world, but I'm getting back my writing legs.

2. I just finished watching the first season of Downton Abbey and I have so many FEELINGS about it that I'm planning on doing a post to discuss them next week.

3. Reading wise I'm finally finishing up Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. I'm right in the middle of The Dark and Hollow Places. So far I'm liking it. I'm just glad the series has shown improvement throughout each book. And that all the lead characters have had distinct voices.

4. We canceled our TV. I know, for a professed TV addict this is a tragedy. But it' actually freed up a lot of time for me. Not just for reading and writing, but being outside with my kids and and being more active. Not that I sat around on my butt all day ignoring the little ones before, but it's nice not having that distraction. We still have Netflix with our X-Box, but I only watch like an hour or two of TV per day.

5. Since it's summer vacay I've been trying to think of things to keep my children preoccupied. They can only run and play outside so much. Besides, the heat is getting to be a bit unbearable and I don't want them out there getting heat stroke. We've been making weekly trips to the library, arts and crafts, and reading time, but I'm kind of running out of ideas. Do any of you have suggestions? I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks all! Have a great weekend, and don't forget that sunscreen!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Downtown Abbey! I have so many feelings about that show, too. :) Good luck entertaining the little ones for the summer! My mom used to take us to the pool or to museums or bookstores to get a break from the heat. Maybe some museums around have free days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for things to do in, or rather, out of the heat too. We go to the library a lot. There's the public pool, and we have one park not too far away that's always in the shade. We have a membership at the local kids' science museum. It's not a big place, but it's fun. There's also a few places in town run by charity organizations that we can go play in for free. Just big rooms full of toys.

    Stay cool and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your writing progress. :)

    I've heard some good and bad things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's on my TBR, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete