Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December Wha?!?!

It's hard to believe that the year is almost over. I'm a little bit sad and kind of disturbed that it went by so fast. This trend started once I had children and it seems to be taking place faster since my oldest started school. I am super excited about Christmas and New Year's (we have a mattress party on New Year's in our house where we pull all of our mattresses to the living room and stay up watching movies and eating junk food), but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready for 2013. Or for what 2013 may mean for me.

Despite my goal for starting the query process this year, it didn't happen. And boy am I glad it didn't, because holy crap, my story was NOT ready for agent eyes. But I made some serious revisions to Fire and Ice and I'm pretty happy with where it's at right now. I'll probably do another round once I hear back from betas and CPs, but I'm so close for it to finally be out there in queryland. The fear of the unknown is a big factor in my hesitance. I am fully aware and prepared for rejection (okay, maybe not FULLY prepared), it's a part of the biz, as they say. What I'm not prepared for are the close calls and silence. Agh! It doesn't sound fun, but if that's what it takes, then I'll hang in there.

In the meantime I'm going to continue my NaNo Pirate project (which is just over 35,000 words as of right now) and the contemporary I started this past summer. At the end of the day all we writers can do is continue writing, it's the only way to get closer to our dream of getting an agent and that publishing deal. And I'm happy to say that my love for writing will not be swayed by the fear of the unknown or the possibility of rejection.

5 comments:

  1. You can always send it my way for one more set of eyes :)

    ...pirates are ALWAYS fun, and contemp is my favourite YA genre, so I certainly HOPE you keep writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're a lot closer to getting something out there than you were when you first set your goal, so congrats on that! I'm not ready for 2013 either. Will time please slow down??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for almost being ready for querying! And your mattress party sounds like SO much fun! I might have to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got your head in the right place, Prerna. Which means you'll do great. I'm excited for you! Querying is fun---yes, despite the chaos, it's fun. I think it makes us feel like we're "real" writers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with querying. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's quick and painless.

    ReplyDelete