Monday, September 3, 2012

GUTGAA Meet and Greet



I'm participating in an awesome bloghop run by Deanna Barnhart, and our first assignment? Meeting and Greeting each other. So here are my answers to the questions.
 
Where do you write?

Anywhere. But mostly on my couch. It's leather...and comfy. Sometimes outside. Other times at the dining table...wherever I feel the need.



Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

The wall outlet where my laptop is plugged in. It's the reason I chose the specific spot on the couch.



Favorite time to write?

ANYTIME. Really. With little ones running around, and school going again, I have to make time to write. It usually doesn't matter if I'm 'in the mood' or not, I just have to do it.


Drink of choice while writing?

I'm so boring-water. I'm not much of a soda drinker, and I dont' drink coffee, so...yeah.



When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

Is there such a thing as complete silence? Huh...I don't remember what that's like anymore. Honestly, I can write in any setting. Yes, even with four kids running around my living room screaming and chasing each other. I'm adaptable.


What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

My latest? Probably my extended family. They're quite an interesting bunch. I started writing it in July when it sort of just hit me. I'd been thinking about it for some time, but then BOOM, the opening scene came to me and it was so perfect I couldn't not write.


What's your most valuable writing tip

Seriously? I'm not an expert. And I feel kind of ridiculous giving any sort of advice to people. But I think the thing I agree with that other authors have suggested is reading. Lots and lots of reading. It's truly invaluable.

27 comments:

  1. I'm with you, what the heck I complete silence? Lol I'm looking forward to when I get my own laptop then I can hop around to write instead of staying cooped up in the corner with my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have complete silence in the middle of the night. And even then sometimes the kids wake up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh come now. EVERYONE can give writing advice. And yours is spot on. We have to be readers so we see the good, the bad and the ugly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading is definitely key. And isn't being able to write anytime, in any environment (no matter how chaotic) fantastic? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think having the ability to tune out is a lifesaver when you have kids running about. Otherwise, you'd never be able to focus to get anything done, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you with your water answer. I drink way to much Diet Coke. I agree with the reading answer. That's great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from #GUTGAA!

    I understand the kids running around, though I only have two.
    And the view to your left? Always important to have that plug nearby=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe one day I will find out if I can write in the middle of screaming kids, that really is adaptable lol. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to meet you! I'm a water gal too. I love that you use your family as inspiration - if your family is as cooky as mine I bet you get some great ideas. :-)

    http://thinkingtoinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The advice of reading is very good advice indeed. Plus, reading is just awesome. If I'm not writing, I'm reading. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have four kids too! I can totally relate to your answers. :) Write when you can, before someone starts screaming, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water's not boring! It's not! Okay, it is, but that's my choice beverage, too.

    And I guess I don't really need complete silence, either (I've got little ones also). I just need to know I won't be interrupted for a set period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my manuscripts is about my family too. We can enter the witness protection program together when those stories get published.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Prema,

    Nice to meet you. I enjoyed your answers to the GUTGAA questions. I see you're a tactile writer, preferring your leather couch for a writing spot. *fistbumps* for the four kids. |m| |m| I've got four boys myself. Right there with you! I love that you became so filled with the opening scene you couldn't not write. Awesome! Fill yourself to overflowing and let it roll!

    Warm regards,

    Don #138

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quiet is definitely relative with kids in the house. Ahhh, September, that's why I love you so... Pretty impressive blog award list! I write YA too, so I joined your site. Come say "hi" on mine. Good luck with GUTGAA.
    http://rhiannwynnnolet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great blogfest, but I'm happy to watch (and read) from the sidelines. Life has gotten complicated. I'm just happy for the possibility of getting back into writing now that school has started.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I'm slowly making my way through the GUTGAA list, so if I haven't gotten to you yet it's because one of my kids decided to dump some more water on the ground, or hit their sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, I don't like soda or coffee, either.

    Great writing advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Prerna!

    Great answers! I loved reading about your processes!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The outlet is the most important thing, when choosing a place to work. Great GUTGAA post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this! SO nice to get to know more about you! Also, I feel that way about handing out writing advice and I totally agree with the reading thing. SO HELPFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm late, I know, but the meet and greet list is huge! I'm visiting everyone .even if it takes me all month!

    Well, I guess you can't join my coffee club, but water is good for you, so You Go Girl!

    Your writing tip is awesome. Just read. Reading is fun. It's educational. It's fun. It's informative. It's fun. Wait. I think I see a pattern emerging here. hehe!

    Nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping over at my blog. I'm a stalker, er I mean follower now:)
    Talynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wait. I'm already a followerer. I guess I know a good thing when I see one...:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I commend you for finding time to write while raising four kids. I definitely get why you take any free time you can to write.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi just hopping around for gutgaa meet awesome writers. Great advice:) Nice to meet you~!

    ReplyDelete