Monday, December 12, 2011

Such is Life

I went to sleep with a massive headache last night. And since I'm pregnant I can only take Tylenol, which seems to have disappeared. All I could find in the medicine cabinet was ibuprofen, which is the only pain reliever that works for the husband. Thank goodness it went away on its own.

Last night was the mid-season finale of Once Upon a Time. If you haven't seen it yet, don't worry, this is a spoiler free post. But I will say that the ending left my mouth agape and my heart heavy. It was good, one of the best episodes this season if not the best, but the twist at the end wasn't really to my taste. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on the series, I'll just be hoping for something to happen that might not. And of course the turmoil I felt made its ways into my dreams. I kept making the ending the way I wanted it, instead of how the writers wrote it. Even though I wasn't happy with what took place, I have to keep reminding myself that not everything will go the way you want it to.

This got me wondering, what makes someone give up on a series, whether television or book. I'm one of those people that finds it increasingly difficult to leave a series the more I get invested in it, even if I'm unhappy with the direction it takes. I can't seem to give up hope. The one show I left this season was Terra Nova, and that was because I wanted more kick a$$ dinosaur time, which the show was lacking. And the storylines were the kind that made your eyes roll and grumble, 'been there, done that'.

When I tried to remember a book series I'd given up, I couldn't come up with anything. There were a few instances where I felt like I wanted to shove the book away underneath a couch cushion, but I didn't stop reading the series. Even when Richelle Mead threw that bombshell in during book three of the Vampire Academy series, I couldn't stop reading. But that's because she's a master storyteller and knows how to keep you wanting more. I can think of maybe one recent series that I *might* be giving up, but I'm not sure yet (no, I won't be divulging the name). I think as a reader (or tv viewer) we get invested in the lives of the characters. It's what makes you keep coming back. For some reason I find it much easier to give up a show than a book, because really, I don't feel like investing hours on end to a tv series that is around 20 episodes long and lasts for who knows how many seasons. At least with books, we know that sooner or a later there will come an end. And it won't take hundreds of books to get there (well, it might, but I've never read a series over seven books long). Reading is more of my passion than watching television. I'll give up my favorite show to pick up the newest book by my favorite author any day. But that's just me.

What about you guys. Was there a time when you gave up on a book series, or television series. YOu don't have to be specific if you don't want to be. But I'm curious as what the final straw was. Whether it be the increasing number of loose plot holes, or characters that got to be way too annoying, or maybe you weren't satisfied with the direction the story had taken. What was it that made you go 'eh, I'm done.'

16 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love Once Upon a Time. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, though! I'm interested to see what this episode will bring now.

    I've recently given up on The Office. I think with Steve Carrell leaving the show they've messed around with the other characters too much. I think it could've worked without Michael, but they just didn't do it right. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've given up on so many series. I'm too embarrassed to name them because there are just so many. Really the only series I've read everything of is The Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten- I am ashamed to say I've never read the Narnia series. I've been meaning to, but for some reason I haven't.
    Jenna- I SO miss Steve Carrell on the Office! It's not the same. My husband and I have been hanging on, but it might be time to say good-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched last nights Once Upon a Time yet. Later today... can't wait.
    I know a lot of people have given up on Robert Jordan's ridiculously long Wheel of Time series but I just can't seem to. I love the characters too much. I started Vampire Academy and only read the first two and so far I haven't felt the yearning to pick up the next one. Same with Ranger's Apprentice. They were good books but I'm just not anxious to read the next ones.
    I gave up on a lot of reality tv I used to watch. Survivor, American Idol... Mostly, I try not to watch new shows because I get addicted really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to give up on books, movies and TV shows/sequels when the plot or characters move too far away from the original concept that made me fall in love with it in the first place. After Dr. Green died, I did not watch one more episode of ER, I can't bring myself to read the 4th Uglies book, etc. Kill or remove who I like and I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes! I remember when I was pregnant and couldn't take Ibuprofen. Awful! I really missed it.

    As for giving up on a series, I gave up on Lost. I was weirdly addicted to the first season, and it was taking up so much time, but then things kept coming out of nowhere and it seemed kind of random, so when I learned that they kept switching writers and the whole series didn't hold together or have resolution at the end, I figured I was better off using my time for something else. I still kind of wonder what happened, but I don't have the time to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie-I am a total tv addict, I may need to start going to meetings for it. And I also have pretty much given up on reality tv, not my thing anymore. I try to watch shows that both my husband and I can enjoy together since his taste is much more particular (it narrows down the choices).

    Tasha- I have a hard time watching a show after one of fave characters leave or die, it doesn't feel the same.

    Caryn.- my husband I watched Lost until the very end. There were definite times when I thought 'huh?' but we stuck with it. It isn't for anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha - I JUST blogged about this at YA Confidential the other day - I have yet to give up on a series I've read several books of, but I did give up on City of Bones after book one - just couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I give up on books/series/TV shows pretty regularly. There's too much content out there and not enough time to commit if my heart isn't totally in it!

    I gave up on Grimm this year and last year House of Night. Just couldn't stick with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it is boring, I give up on it. I try to push through but sometimes it doesn't work.

    As for as TV, when it seems the same. There is nothing new and it starts getting that soap opera feeling.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started to watch Terra Nova, but it couldn't keep my attention. I use to love Charmed, but then Piper's kids started coming back from the future and the plot just grew utterly ridiculous. I don't even know if the series had an actual finale! I agree with you about The Vampire Academy, and there was also a big one in The Mortal Instruments series that made me want to stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alison- I made it through City of Bones, and went on to enjoy the rest of the series. You migh enjoy the Infernal Devices more so than MI.

    Gilly- I'm still hanging in there with Grimm, but the future looks grim (haha, I'm hilarious!).

    Ladonna- I hate when things get way too soap opera-ish. there's a reason those are being cancelled from daytime television.

    Christine- I know EXACTLY what plot twist you're talking about in MI. I almost gave up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terra Nova is a bit of a yawn fest, but my kids love it, so we all watch it on a Monday night with a bowl of popcorn, and I try to keep up with the kid's enthusiasm.

    One series I stopped watching was Prison Break (by season 2 or 3?). I was loving it, but then they pulled it for a month or so (writer's strike I think), and I never did get back 'into it.'

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. I hate headaches.

    I had a hard time reading Leven Thumps because it was the same story contiuing over the course of 5 books. I just had a hard time, I wished it was just smashed together into one book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an awesome post because I got all of my sisters and my mom to become involved in this series and then... Well, that episode happened. And although I understood why things played out the way they did, my prego sister, Z, was furious. "How could they do that?!" she wanted to know. She was SURE the writers could've done something to prevent the end from playing out that way, and presented several alternative endings just to prove it was more than possible.

    But even though she was disappointed, she said herself that she wasn't giving up on this series. It wasn't like The Secret Life of the American Teenager where random shiz started going down just to get ratings. Nor was it like (and here's where she and I differ) The Vampire Diaries where impossible deux es machina alternatives sprung in just in time to make a happily ever after until the next episode's mini-drama. She understood, she said, but that didn't scrape over the fact that it SUCKED. And this is why I love my sisters and prego people. They both tell it like it is and give me plenty to think about. :)

    Did I mention how much I loved this post, Prerna? Besides the fact that I get to advise you to stock up on the heavy duty pain killers, I got to have my first dialogue with you about one of the best shows on TV, right now. You are AWN it! :) And seriously, though... stock up on the stuff that works!

    Love!
    Deserae

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deserae- your comment made me laugh! And I totally get where your sister is coming from. I REALLY NEED to know what happens next on the show. NOW.

    Amanda- I would have stuck with Terra Nova had my kids been interested, but they aren't quite old enough.

    Melanie- I hate when you read a series (or try to) and realize everything could have fit into one or two!

    ReplyDelete