Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What's Up Wednesday




What I'm Writing:
Got in 2k last week and could have gotten more in, but I got some awesome notes from my CP for Fading and I'm frantically working on those in case I get any bites during Pitch Wars.

What I'm Reading:
Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken, the second book in The Darkest Minds trilogy. It was awesome. I"m so glad the third book is out now so I can go get my copy quickly. Also, Blue Lily Lily Blue, which, you know, was too amazing for words.

What Works For Me:
Writing for yourself. Often times I think we get sidetracked with the dream. You know, the publication dream. But when you step away from it and focus on just writing something for yourself, with no other goals attached to it, you get so much more done. I've been doing that with my latest WIP and it works. I want to write for myself and no one else.

What Else I've Been Up To:
Yesterday I voted for the first time ever. I became an official US citizen early this year an  it was great to put my civic duty to work. Also I'm trying to stay distracted since tomorrow is their alternates showcase for Pitch Wars! Eeep!

What's up with you?


7 comments:

  1. Alexandra Bracken's writing makes my insides go all mushy - I don't know how she does it, but I love it.

    Congrats on the first vote! How very responsible of you - I usually forget until the morning of, then freak out, haha! Yes yes yes to writing for yourself, too. I mean, if I don't want to read my book, why would anyone else?

    Have a wonderful week, Prerna!

    -- Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought Blue Lily, Lily Blue today and I decided to put off the book I was going to read for this one!
    My first drafts are always for myself. I *try* not to worry about what might be wrong with it and just enjoy writing.
    Good luck with Pitch Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved BLLB! I really enjoyed THE DARKEST MINDS, too - I need to pick up the rest of the series!

    Yes, just write for yourself. :) I find I can't concentrate on the writing if I'm too focused on publishing-related things so taking time to enjoy it is important! Have a great week and good luck with Pitch Wars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your citizenship, and on your first vote. How exciting! I'm reading BLLB now (as you saw!) and loving it. I'm so scared about how it's going to end though. I'm sure I'll be freaking out in next week's WUW post if something terrible goes down! Happy writing, and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your citizenship and on voting for the first time in the US! Best of luck with Pitch Wars - how exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get back to writing for myself like you mentioned. It's far to easy to get caught up in whether a story is marketable, what agents and readers are looking for, and so on. I think that strips some of the joy out of writing, don't you? Thanks for the reminder, Prerna. Hope you're having a wonderful week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your citizenship, and best of luck with Pitch Wars!

    ReplyDelete