Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up, put on by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk. If you'd like to join click on the links above!

What I'm Reading:
I finished Breaking Glass by Lisa Amowi and it was really quite interesting. I liked it, despite the fact that each character in the book is deeply flawed. I appreciate that the author made them REAL, not perfect by any means. Sometimes this can have a negative effect because the reader can't relate to the MC whatsoever, and I definitely had some issues with it, but I thought the plot was well thought out, had some creepy moments, and was quite intriguing. Now I'm in the middle of Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott and really enjoying it.

What I'm Writing:
I got in 5k for Keepsake this past week and I'm really happy with how the story is flowing now. The first 10k are a hot mess, but I hit a stride. I've also been working on revisions for my Pitch Wars entry and I can tell you most assuredly that I hate 35 word pitches.

What Works For Me:
Music. Quiet. The sound of the ocean. It all depends on the kind of mood I'm in. I've found that if I close my eyes and pretend like I'm going to sleep my brain suddenly doesn't want to shut off and I'm flooded with words.

What Else I've Been Up To:
Getting ready for the hubby and I's mini vacay next week! I'm looking forward to the sand and sun and having some alone time.

10 comments:

  1. 35-word pitches are so tricky! Glad to hear you've hit your stride with the WIP. Enjoy the vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't have any music on when I'm writing! I need the sound of SILENCE! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've wanted to read BREAKING GLASS. So glad to hear its good!!!! :) and yayyyy hitting stride on your WIP and making progress!!!!! I need music to write and or revise. so I hear you. I could not do it in silence ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with the WiP and have an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for finding your stride. I love it when that happens. Hopefully, the momentum will keep going. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny- you pretend to fall asleep and thats when your mind wakes up! It's so true though! I get some of the best ideas while I'm trying to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Story intros always seem to be the biggest mess, don't they? I end up writing mine multiple times for that reason. I'm happy you've hit your stride with this WIP! That's a great feeling when you finally build up that momentum and the story starts to flow. Have a wonderful, relaxing vacation next week! Hope you come back refreshed and ready to write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard to do pitches! Anything that requires being short and succinct is a nightmare for me. You're not alone! Good luck with polishing that up!

    And have fun on your mini-vacay! It sounds fab! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Striking the right balance between too flawed and too perfect is so hard. Nobody wants to read a book about either type of character, I don't think. I'll have to make sure I remember that when I'm working on my own writing. Awesome that your story is flowing and that you're hitting your stride! Hope you and the hubs have a great mini-vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love deliciously flawed characters, but you're right, it's a fine line between deliciously flawed and 'how has nobody murdered you yet". Good luck with that pitch; 35 words is holy cow short!

    I agree with you about silence for writing. Music is distracting when I'm trying to write; lyrics jump out at me. I do enjoy white noise, the sound of rain (so many apps and websites for that!), or this great app I have called AmbiSci when silence is just too... motionless.

    ReplyDelete