Monday, January 20, 2014

2014-Almost One Month In

How is it almost already nearing the end of January!?! I swear it was just New Years and I dared to blink before it all vanished. And with the weather slowly turning, it only baffles me that much more how time is such a fickle thing who waits for no (wo)man.

Like last year I've made goals for this year. And with time slipping by it makes it seem daunting to accomplish all of them. Writing is a big part of my goals (and life in general). I want to finish my new WIP by Valentine's, which should be possible given how much steam I have. I'll be querying again soon, praying and hoping for something incredible to happen. I also want to write another manuscript before the end of the year. I plan on reading sixty books. Given I read 100 last year, I think that's feasible.

Every year our intentions are good, but getting sidetracked is easy. Life happens. That's the motto I want to stick to this year. I'll do everything I can to make my goals and dreams come true, but if life happens, beating myself over my shortcomings is not an option. I think we should all adopt this way of thinking, because we are hardest on ourselves and tend to put pressure where no pressure is needed. Don't get me wrong, I won't use this as excuse to slack, but I understand not everything is under my control. No matter how much I want it to be.

So this year, let's all remember to keep our goals in mind while also taking the time to forgive ourselves for not being perfect.

8 comments:

  1. Love the last sentence. I need to remember to do this, too. I like to believe that on the days I can't get to my manuscript, my subconscious mind works on it a little bit anyway. This is what I tell myself, anyway, to make myself feel better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't turn my brain off either, and I think it counts when you're thinking about it because at times it's the only way to make it through a certain plot point or scene.

      Delete
  2. The year just barely started and it's already zooming by too fast! Here's to keeping our goals and forging ourselves if we backtrack a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for goals! Hope we can both stay on track, but forgive ourselves when life happens.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe time's gone by so fast! I'm trying to finish my WIP by mid-February, too, and I'm currently querying another book. I like your resolution not to beat yourself up about failing to meet goals if life gets in the way - it's something I need to keep in mind, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Best of luck with querying and getting that draft done!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful advice. I'm trying to be more lenient with myself. I'm always harshest with myself, but I'm doing pretty good with my goals so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. It seems like you had a really busy 2013 with writing, hope you keep you goals this year, and can forgive yourself when you don't

      Delete