Monday, December 9, 2013

Honesty

I've been blogging and less and less. And it has nothing to do with not caring. I still like to sneak in and read your guys' posts, but lately I've been running a blank. That's why I like doing weekly bloghops like What's Up Wednesday because I can post statuses on various things going on in my life. But I didn't start blogging just to give you guys weekly updates. I started because I wanted to discuss my journey in this writing game. I wanted to share positive thoughts, constructive thoughts. I wanted to make connections, and I've done those things. However, I've become increasingly...how do I say... private (more like crazy scared) to share certain details of my life. More specifically, when it comes to my writing.

Querying my Urban Fantasy was hard. REALLY HARD. Rejection was harder. I took some comfort in knowing I wasn't the only one who's dealt with the bitter stab of another form R. It doesn't erase it completely, but it helped. I've put away Fire and Ice, even though I still heart it like crazy, and moved onto my contemporary Restoring Casey, which I also love.

I'm going to be honest with you, I had very little luck with F&I, and I sort of expected it, but it still sucked the big one. Trying to query anything paranormal at the moment is sort of asking for soul crushing heartbreak, but if your story is awesome enough it will rise to the top. Mine obviously wasn't that awesome. And as I recently reread my former love, I realized it still needs work. But I've moved on. Do I think RC is 'the one'? I don't know. What I do know is the writing is stronger, the emotions higher, the journey scarier. Because writing and preparing to query is always scary. Putting yourself out there is always scary.

I would love to land an agent with this manuscript. Every writer dreams of the moment when their work finally pays off, when someone else wants to champion their story. I'm not giving up on that dream. I'm still striving for it. RC isn't quite ready to query. I still need betas before heading into another round of revisions. As I've mentioned before, patience is not my strong suit, but guess what?!?! I'm much more patient when it comes to my journey than I used to be. I'm happier and more comfortable with my words. That's what matters, right? I've also decided to be more upfront with you guys when it comes to my story. I'll tell you how querying is going. I'll let you know if I get another rejection or request (while remaining professional).

So to kick this thing off I'm going to let you know I recently entered Pitchwars! Which is an awesome contest set up by the amazing Brenda Drake. I don't know if I'll make it in, but I'm not going to let the fear of rejection keep on the sidelines. I hope you guys put yourselves out there, too.

12 comments:

  1. Wishing you the very best of luck with Pitch Wars, Prerna! Fingers crossed that you have good news to share very soon. Also, I love checking in on your blog for WUW posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'm thinking happy thoughts. glad to know you like my WUW posts, sometimes it seems like I'm yapping on and on :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with pitch wars! I'm sure you'll do awesome! Querying is so dang hard, I wish I had a good answer for it too. But alas, I'm still wading through tribulation as well. It'll happen someday, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love the honesty in this post. It's hard when others don't love your novel as much as you do. You're doing great keeping your head up. Good luck with Pitch Wars. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I was a little scared to post it.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with Pitch Wars!
    Rejection is so hard. But I do think it helps to know we all go through it. Tons and tons of it. :-P You'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The big R is pretty hard, but I'm prepared for the long haul, so I'm sure there's plenty still waiting for me :)

      Delete
  5. Aw, querying is HARD. I know just how you feel. But you can take back some of that control by doing it YOUR WAY, which is what Pitch Wars can be. I hope you make it in! It sounds like your writing has heart, and that will shine through. Keep ups posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I'm trying, I hope that it pays off some day.

      Delete
  6. Querying is terrible :( I feel your pain, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, and I'll tell you why. You've done everything here I wish I was brave enough to do. It really is hard to get rejected--AND then tell people about it! And then to keep going. Sending tons of luck and good vibes your way for Pitchwars and everything else ;)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete